Change DNS Server on Rogers SMC Wireless Router
September 30, 2008
I post this here to spare you the 30 mins I spent on hold with Rogers Customer Support to get the new mso password.
Rogers changed the password in the wee hours of the morning on September 29, 2008 in an unannounced “Firmware Update” which reset the passwords and changed all the settings on my wireless router including the SSID. Of course, I thought someone in my neighbourhood had breached my security and was concerned. Thanks Rogers!
I suspect they did this (the password reset) so that more users would see the ads on the Rogers Yahoo search page that is displayed when a URL is misspelled.
Changing your DNS server setting to use OpenDNS will provide a less annoying search page for invalid URLs and will also speed up your surfing.
Here are the instructions:
1. Go to http://192.168.0.1/login.asp in your favourite browser.
2. Type mso for the username and cxf1rst! for the password.
3. Click on WAN on the left navigation menu.
4. Where it says Do you want to assign your own DNS address ? change the option to Yes and enter the following numbers:
5. Hit Apply and wait for your router to reboot (should take less than a minute).
Please post any questions in the comment section.
NOTE: I will try to keep this post updated with the latest information including any future password changes.